1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
My favorite yarns to knit with are soft cottons, merino wools or cotton/wool blends. I’d like to experiment with yarns of unusual fiber content like bamboo. I do not like eye-lash or bulky, fluffy yarn.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My circular needles are in a zippered case, my dpns are in a manila envelope and my straight needles will hopefully find a new home in a felted case that I intend to make (see my Nov 1, 2006 post)
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about 35 years. I first learned English knitting from my mother and later my aunt taught me the Continental style of knitting. I consider my skill level to be intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, but if you need ideas, I could give you some via an e-mail message.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like lemon and lavender.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, I have a sweet tooth. My favorite candies these days are malted milk balls and Belgium Chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Though I haven’t made one for a long time, I like to make Ukrainian Eggs. I do not spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Joan Armatrading, Joni Mitchell, The Indigo Girls, John Prine and Cowboy Junkies are some of my favorites. I like being introduced to new artists, so go ahead and send some if you’d like - my computer can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favortie color is green. Hey, I like purples and orange too. I really can’t stand teal.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am happily married to a great guy and have 2 amazing daughters. We have a dog, he is a big Akita who is 14 years old.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I do like to wear hats and mittens and an occasional warm scarf. Ponchos? No.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I really enjoy knitting socks - the turning of the heel seems like magic to me.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Last night I just binded off my red scarf project. I will have it all ready for the 2008 collection.
I’m knitting my first toe-up sock.
I’m knitting a hat for my husband that doesn’t fit his head yet – after 2 attempts!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Oh, yes.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer to knit on bamboo needles, straight or circular are fine.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
A child’s sweater in need of repair – I knitted it 20 years ago and 5 years ago it resurfaced in need of repair.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas very much. But as for a favorite, I’d have to say Groundhog Day. I like that you don’t see Ground Hog Day displays in the stores. On that day, I like to bake spicy ground hog cookies and watch the movie, Ground Hog Day. Some day I’d like to have a GroundHog Day Party – would you like to come?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect cookie cutters – some old, some new, some metal, some plastic and all fun!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Someday I hope to add Cat Bordhi’s Second Treasury of Magical Knitting to my collection. I'd like set of wooden or bamboo size US 1.5 double pointed needles. I subscribe to Interweave Knits.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’d like to pick up an old project from a class I took awhile back to relearn fairisle and a steek. The instructor had us make wrist warmers to learn these techniques and the concepts never really sunk in for me.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I knit socks. My shoe size is US 8.5 with medium width.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)