Thursday, June 05, 2008

New Garden Square

In case you haven't noticed, I've been playing some catch up with posts.  After a bit of a writer's block, I'm back to blogging again. Over the weekend, we started our new garden. Hubby got the 4x4's lined up and in the ground using these nifty anchor joints. (Thanks to Marsha for the suggestion.)

The  girls had  most fun watching us and taking photos.  Especially as the sun went down and the camera flashed with every photo they took.  Now we have plenty of photos of the car, their bikes, the driveway and us (or parts of us) working on the new garden.

I went ahead and filled the bed with this soil, recommended by Mike McGrath of You Bet Your Garden.  Personally, I despise his call-in show, but I have used his suggestions for container gardening with much success.

I know it is way too late to start much from seed, but we'll see how it goes.  My sister has to thin her young spinach so I'll have those plants.  Also, I'm not opposed to buying plants.  

Note:  I planted some Cosmos seed in one of the 1' squares on 8 June 08 and I noticed sprouts already today, 10 June 08.  Is that possible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have fun with this garden! You can still get great plants (lots of herbs) at farmer's markets, if you're looking for some.